Hello everyone once again! To continue our healthy ventures in this new year and month, we came up with a very delicious vanilla berry protein bar that will leave you satisfied and ready to take on the day (or perhaps the night). As with our other protein bar recipe, this one requires only a handful of ingredients in order to make. That way, it’s easy to put together and the clean-up simple.
While the last one was cool and minty, this one will be refreshing and a little sweeter, but no added sugar will be found anywhere. The other great thing about our protein bars is that they contain at least 20 grams of protein making it a great snack either before or after lunch, or even as a pre-workout or even post-workout food choice.
So grab your mixing spoons and let’s start measuring!
Ingredients You Will Need:
• 4 Scoops of Vanilla Whey Protein Powder (Our choice is Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey since it’s highly recommended and the flavors are great. Of course, depending on whether or not you can consume milk derived products, you can use a plant based protein source as well as any brand that you prefer)
• ¼ cup Vanilla Unsweetened Almond Milk (We use Silk Almond Milk)
• ¼ cup or 4 Tablespoons Peanut Butter, Leveled (Teddy Smooth Natural Peanut Butter, Salted, is a great choice)
• 1 cup Old-Fashioned Oats, Ground Into Flour (Quaker Oats brand works well for us)
• ½ Cup Stop & Shop Cherry Berry Mix, Pureed
• 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
• Measuring Spoons
• Mixing Bowl
• Large Plastic Spoon for Mixing
• Blender or Food Processor
• 8” x 6” Square Glass Container (Pyrex is a great brand for this type and can be found almost anywhere including Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-Simply-Store-10-Piece-Storage/dp/B00005B8K5), Kohl’s, Macy’s, etc.)
• Measuring Cups – Dry and Liquid
• Small Spatula
BEFORE doing anything else, make sure to measure out your cherry berry mix and allow it to sit out to thaw for about 1-3 hours. It will make it much easier to puree by doing this. It shouldn’t take more than this to get it to the right consistency.
Start off by measuring out your oats and using either a blender or a food processor, blend the oats until it becomes of a flour like consistency. Pour the newly created flour into your mixing bowl and if you are using a blender (like us) you may have some stuck at the bottom. Just take a plastic spoon to move it around until it comes out.
Now, measure out your peanut butter either by spooning it into your ¼ cup dry measuring cup OR by using a tablespoon and scooping out the peanut butter directly from the container. With both you will want to level each off to ensure you’re not getting more than you need. Drop right on top of the oat and powder mixture. Use your small spatula to wipe out as much of the peanut butter in the cup or off the spoon.
Next, take your almost completely thawed cherry berry mix and toss it into the blender or food processor. Puree until it is almost a complete liquid. After that, mix into your powder, peanut butter, and oat mixture.
Take your mixing spoon and mix everything together until every ingredients is completely mixed (no powder should be visible). The mixed protein ball and plop it into the 8” x 6” rectangle glass and spread it out so it’s even throughout. Cover with the lid and place in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes or overnight. By allowing it to sit longer, the ingredients mesh for a greater flavor.
When you go to bring it as a snack, we suggest wrapping it in plastic wrap and placing in a lunchbox or other form of a food carrier with an ice pack to keep it cool. It’s not necessary to do, but it helps to keep it completely solid.
Enjoy your bar and know that you can feel good about it too!